Friday, November 21, 2008

Apple Turkeys

For Family Home Evening last Monday we made apple turkeys and played ABC thanks (basically go in a round saying something you are thankful for for each letter in the alphabet).
I had the idea of using Caramel Apples so that they would be brown instead of red, plus they are yummier to eat. Adam had the idea of making them sliced carmel apples so that they would be easier and less messy to eat. It actually worked pretty well except with Maggies, so she used just a plain old apple instead.



Maggie had so much fun. I think one of the biggest reasons is that we let her eat marshmellows, gumdrops and candy corn and she doesn't usually get much candy. But she also liked making the turkey.

She really liked eating everything when she was done though. Why she is eating the caramel apple like this instead of picking up the pieces I don't know.

Here is me and my turkey. I have to give Adam credit for the head. I spent a few minutes looking online to find a good way to do the turkey's head and didn't really find anything. I forgot I was married to Mr. Creativity, of course he had a good idea.







Here is Adam's turkey. If we would have been giving out prizes he definately would have won.
Can you see how excited he is to eat it all up? He did eat almost all of it except on apple slice and the feet and he felt sick for about an hour or two. Talk about sugar overload.





I was not about to let Isaac have gumdrops and marshmellows so he got to make a cheerio turkey. (Don't worry we watched him really closely with the toothpicks). He did try to put a few cheerios on his turkey but mostly he just took them off and ate them.




He lasted maybe three of four minutes before the whole turkey went in his mouth. I haven't given him an apple before because he still only has four teeth but he did pretty well with it and had a great time eating apple and cheerios while the rest of us made our turkeys. And don't worry, he didn't get totally neglected, I did give him a half of a mini-marshmellow and he seemed pretty happy with that.

5 comments:

Kris Edwards said...

Carmel apples---ummm, good! Looks like everyone had great fun so FHE was a total success. Good job, Mom & Dad!
And a Happy Thanksgiving to all of the Weavers from the Edwards' household.

eva said...

What a great idea! I love caramel apples. Maggie is a riot! And to comment on your other posts...I love the girls night in! You're hairdos are awesome. Maggie's pics of you are good! Some adults don't get the subject centered but she did...what a photographer! You have such cute kids.

Weaver Family said...

That is such a cute idea! that would have been fun to use with my little kindergartners.

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

I love how now after reading this...I'm totally craving a caramel apple!!
I love taking pictures!! ANY TIME!!

Tatiana said...

That's a great idea! I will have to use that one with my kids. Hope you guys had a great Christmas!