Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mountain Top Sanity

Anyone who claims to know me well at all knows that I am a bit of a mountain junky. Well we've been in Texas a little over two years and I had been deprived of my addiction long enough, so I went to Colorado for 10 days to do some hiking. It had to be one of the best get-aways I have ever had.
The plans were to meet up with my buddy, Nate, in Denver then head to Lake City in Western CO where another friend, Russell was letting us use his family cabin. When I got to Denver Nate told me that he had to fix a mess that someone had created and would potentially cost his company $5 million if not resolved that week. Nate's a junior engineer for Boeing/Lockheed and unfortunately too good at what he does so he spent the week in Buffalo, NY and I traveled on Lake City without him.

Luckily the trip was also planned with Charles Berry, Associate Dean at Baylor, and we met up with one of his friends Bill Meredith. Most would laugh because I went hiking with 60 yr old men but it was actually refreshing to spend down time with mature company as opposed to the usual toddlers and infants. I also got some valuable insight on trust funds and retirement planning.

The routine was: a day of to aclimate, hike a 14er, day to rest, hike two 14ers, day to recoup, hike a 14er, head back.


HANDIES PEAK 14,048'

We chose what we thought would be the most doscile ascent for our first climb. Don't let those books fool you, the last stretch to summit is a killer. Because of the heavy winter snow and the very moist summer the mountains here were carpeted in wildflowers of all colors and varieties. Also, as is true with the other peaks we climbed, the views of the San Juan mountain range from up there was phenomonal. As we left the summit some mammoth thunder and lightning rolled in but we were luck to not get hit too hard with rain.


Here are the boys ready to hit the hillside. Those bright eyes and big smiles went away after about 2500 feet.















Don't let age fool you. That Dr. Berry is one tough guy. Nothing would keep him from climbing. After bruising his toes on the first day he did most the rest of the hikes in semi-formal leather dress shoes. Then he got bruised heels and blisters and still kept going.

SUNSHINE AND REDCLOUD 14,001' AND 14,034' (respectively)

Now this was a greusome day. Miles and Miles of switchback to get to the top of Redcloud Peak only to descend and reclimb Sunshine Peak over a mile away. That will wear you out, the only problem is that you have to return the way you came and reascend Redcloud. But you gotta do it because you just can't turn down two 14ers in one day.


























UNCOMPAHGRE 14,309

The highest peak in the San Juan range, a real menecing-looking mountain because of the steep rocky slopes that comprise the final several hundred feet of ascent. The day we hiked there was such a low ceiling that the entire slope was covered in clouds. When we started up the rocky slope we could see about 30 yards ahead of us and by the time we reached the summit we were lucky to see more than 10 feet. The wind was bitter cold and at time I felt like a National Geographic photographer in the Arctic circle. Obviously there was no view because the cloud cover (very disappointing) but it was a great climb none the less. There was a sheer 500+ foot drop on one side and was terrifying and exhilerating to look over and see a straight drop into nothing but clouds. The defining part of the hike was the beautiful waterfalls that we passed.












































Sorry if the pictures are a little jumbled. I was trying something new and it didn't seem to work. But I think you get the idea. I loved the mountains and have no regrets. However, the time away really helped me remember how much I love my wife and family. To any wives reading, let your husbands get away for a while and they'll have time to realize how great they are and how little they deserve you. I wish I had the time to write praises to my wife, but let me just tell you, no where in all the earth could I find a more kind and virtuous woman than my Niki.

To end I'll just throw in a couple of pictures for fun. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me so I rely on the pictures of others to relay and preserve the memories.


3 comments:

shaunie said...

Awesome. Too bad Nate couldn't make it. One of the states I would want to end up in is CO. I really like the northwest but I'm not a big fan of the summer heat. I hear Colorado Springs is wonderful but in my line of work I would need to be close to Denver. Not a bad place to be though. I'm glad you had fun, and it looks like the squirrel did also.

Brandis said...

Well, for what it's worth, I'm officially impressed. :)

Kris Edwards said...

Ok, you win. I'll stop whining about my sore muscles that resulted from the big 3 mile hike Glen and I took from Big Creek to Lick Lake last weekend here in Idaho. The elevation changed 2,000 feet in those three miles and it was steep to my under-used muscles but now that is dwarfed by your mountain trek.
You are amazing but I knew that already!